Associate Dean for Communications
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health | Baltimore, MD - Posted 3 weeks ago
The Associate Dean for Communications is the senior-most executive responsible for communications, branding and public relations for the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, and serves as a member of the Dean’s leadership team. The incumbent will be charged with shaping and advancing the School’s message and brand throughout the School’s internal community as well as across local, state, national and global communications. As a dynamic leader and change agent, the Associate Dean’s goal will be to reinforce existing communications strengths and to further establish an innovative, substantive and proactive messaging platform.
As a strategic advisor, the Associate Dean will provide counsel and expertise in communications and marketing to the Dean and senior leadership of the School and work to advance the strategic priorities articulated in the School’s newly announced strategy plan. This person will be responsible for setting and communicating the direction of the School’s central communications team of twenty-six, with responsibilities for media relations, social media, content development and strategy, web services, creative services and internal communications. The Associate Dean will create a vision and strategic priorities that reflect the School’s vision and mission and addresses target audiences and key stakeholders, as well as ensuring alignment and consistency of communications across the institution. The Associate Dean will also cultivate and sustain beneficial and collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders to advance the School’s strategic communications priorities.
The Associate Dean for Communications will work closely with the Associate Dean for Development and Constituent Relations to maintain the strong collaborative working relationships between the two areas, guided by their shared focus on external affairs. This focus includes maintaining collaboration among the teams and for also creating a collaborative working relationship with all of the academic departments in the School, expanding the School’s reach through new partnerships and donor relationships and strengthening the School’s brand.
- Provide vision, leadership and counsel for the Bloomberg School’s communications and branding.
- Serve as the Dean’s senior-most executive for communications, with responsibility for oversight and direction of the School’s central communications units and staff.
- Develop new collaborations with the School’s Departments and Centers to strengthen, align and guide their communication strategies while maintaining the School’s overall brand and messaging.
- Ensure brand standards are maintained and consistent throughout the organization.
- Formulate and manage a comprehensive media relations strategy and program at the local, state, national and global levels encompassing print, television and social media outlets. Engage with key media outlets, both proactively and reactively, and provide media training to School leaders and faculty.
- Create and lead an innovative approach to promoting the value of public health to educate a broader audience of the work of the school and the impact of the field.
- Take a research-based approach to identify key messages and audiences, and work consistently to tell School stories, weaving them together to create a consistent, unified message in support of the School and University brands to a broad range of targeted, diverse audiences.
- Collaborate with colleagues across the school and administrative units – including admissions, student affairs, facilities, government and community relations, development and constituent relations– to align messages and to promote key initiatives of the School.
- Reinforce a culture of excellence, innovation and creativity, one that is proactive and quick to mobilize around important issues facing public health and the School at the international, national and local levels.
- Anticipate and mitigate issues with the potential to negatively impact the School’s reputation.
- In collaboration with the leaders and members of the School Communications units, develop short- and long-term strategic initiatives and goals for these units. Ensure collaborative, cohesive, consistent and effective communications strategies across all units and throughout the School.
- Work closely with the Assistant Dean for Strategic Initiatives to keep the School’s internal and external communities informed of the School’s strategic plan’s goals, objectives and progress.
- In collaboration with the Associate Dean for Development and Constituent Relations, consult and advise the newly created development communications team to insure School branding and messages are incorporated.
- Working closely with the Office of Admissions, support the development of a student recruitment and marketing strategy, managed by the admissions team.
- Develop benchmarking criteria and track and evaluate the effectiveness of the communications strategies on a regular basis.
- Cultivate and sustain collaborative relationships/partnerships with external stakeholders, including local business and community leaders.
- Support efforts to advance the School’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least 15 years of progressive experience managing communications and/or marketing in a complex, dynamic environment.
- Holistic understanding of all aspects of communications, positioning and messaging, including industry best practices in both traditional and emerging media platforms and experience with state-of-the-art communications technology.
- Significant experience leading communications strategies in a global environment and working with national and international media outlets and digital media channels.
- Proven ability to lead with direct authority and through influence, including partnering across peer leadership groups and deploying resources to support individual units as well as an enterprise-wide narrative.
- Demonstrated senior leadership experience designing and executing a strategic communications plan in a large, complex, decentralized organization with varied priorities and stakeholders.
- Experience managing teams and budgets in a highly complex organization, some of which will be shared with another internal division. This includes experience hiring, developing and retaining high-performing professional teams, as well as evaluation and retention of and change management for existing teams.
- Outstanding management and planning skills, including the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a decentralized environment.
- Excellent and nuanced writing ability and range.
- Strong interpersonal skills, persuasive presentation and public speaking skills.
- Communications leadership in a research focused organization
- Communications in a public health or health-related organization
- Experience translating research into general consumption content
- Background working in a globally reaching organization
- Advanced degree