The University of Delaware | Newark, Delaware - Posted 8 months ago
Under the general direction of the Vice President of Communications and Marketing, the Creative Director is responsible for leading the artistic and design direction for all University of Delaware marketing materials and bringing strategic leadership to creative impact of brand management across the University of Delaware brand. The Creative Director will help implement the institution’s strategic effort to share the University of Delaware story with varied constituencies located around the world through directing a creative services team charged with developing imaginative collateral and an immersive user experience.
- Leads, manages and supervises a creative team consisting of art directors, designers, photographers, videographers, multimedia developers, production managers and a brand director, who are responsible for the design, development, and production of creative collateral across a wide range of projects and media.
- Provides creative direction, vision and inspiration for the entire creative services team within the Office of Communication and Marketing, as well as implementation of creative project execution across the University.
- Leads and inspires the blend of visual design with motion, art and interaction to ensure the products we design and/or develop are integrated, fluid and responsive.
- Helps shape the creative vision and user experiences and ensures quality and consistency of design among creative teams in programs, departments, and colleges across the University.
- Ensures that all creative collateral for the University supports the institution’s strategic goals and brand identity.
- Ensures consistency by upholding the institution’s brand style guide in tandem with the Brand Director, communicating this widely to multiple stakeholders, both internal and external.
- Assists in organizing and managing a departmental workload and reinforces a project traffic process, which includes print, web, video and environmental, to ensure a timely workflow and efficient use of resources.
- Leads the creation and direction of presentations, demonstrations, and prototypes which establish brand narratives and experience value propositions.
- Continues hands-on designing, creation and art direction for a portfolio of University projects.
- Fosters relationships across campus to instill partnership, design integrity and promote creative consistency and shared resources.
- Works with department marketing operations manager to collaborate with external vendors to ensure on-time project completion within budget.
- Assists in monitoring the annual budget for creative team.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Art, Visual Communications, Graphic Design or related area and a minimum of 7 years of design and digital marketing experience in an agency, in-house marketing department, or higher education institution or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Proficiency in all the basic design tools, including mastery of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Deep understanding of emerging design trends and technology platforms that support digital marketing and user experiences, as well as creative print marketing.
- Ability to lead projects from concept to completion across multiple media (e.g. web to print) while developing staff, producing against multiple deadlines and initiatives, and creating and maintaining productive work processes and controls.
- Comprehension of brand architecture, brand identity and brand positioning as it informs creative work.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills, including the ability to communicate in a clear, consistent and transparent manner.
- Ability to thrive in a self-directed role, while also understanding that collaboration is a key ingredient of success; excellent team player.
- Strong influencing skills and exceptional ability to give positive and constructive feedback.
- Ability to integrate strategic direction with creative vision to optimize impact and outcomes and drive innovation.
- Experience and/or basic knowledge of digital development platforms and content management systems, with WordPress and Adobe Experience Manager preferred.
- Understanding of distribution considerations to adapt and optimize creative collateral across platforms.
- Strong collaboration skills with design and non-design teams including (but not limited to) experts in complementary areas of communications such as editorial, social media, public relations, digital content, executive communications and research.
- A minimum of 3 years of management and supervisory experience preferred.
Ability to work extended hours beyond the typical business day, nights and weekends throughout the academic year, when required.