Director of Advancement Communications
Susquehanna University | Selinsgrove, PA - Posted 5 months ago
The director of advancement communications, reporting to the vice president for marketing and communications, is responsible to develop and execute advancement communications strategies, prepare fundraising and campaign content; related scripts/talking points; and supportive digital and print materials, all in alignment with the university’s brand.
As the primary liaison between University Communications and the Office for Advancement, the director is lead writer and project manager for a range of Advancement communications, such as content for annual and parent giving; corporate and foundation relations; donor relations and stewardship; and major gift and campaign initiatives. The director also provides expertise and support for communications for alumni and parent relations.
Primary areas of responsibility include:
• Providing consultation, strategic advice and editorial/messaging development to the Office of Advancement, including the offices of Alumni, Parent and Donor Engagement, Gift Planning, and Donor Relations and Stewardship.
• Coordinating all annual fund, alumni relations, and Advancement-led athletics and parent mass communications and managing production of those communications, including strategic support and tactical assistance to social media initiatives.
• Providing strategic support and tactical assistance on donor recognition communications.
• Using web analytics and other data to measure success of client communications.
• Executing/managing production and otherwise assisting with development of capital campaign and major gift communications in print and online, as identified by advancement/development staff.
• Working with the university’s web communications team, appropriate Advancement staff and external vendors to manage client web pages for alumni, parents/families, donors and campaign efforts.
• Managing and supporting the execution of multimedia (photography and video) assets for client purposes and editorial support of print publications, including Susquehanna Currents magazine.
• Assisting with the management of budgets and expense tracking for alumni, parent and donor communications projects.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• An excellent writer, editor and proofreader, who possesses exceptional interpersonal communication skills—interviewing, speaking, listening and understanding.
• A keen ear and mind for story ideas and an understanding of how to inspire alumni, donors and parents through compelling storytelling.
• Strategic ability to tailor communications to diverse or targeted audiences.
• Mission-driven, self-motivated, and dedicated to contributing to a team and being of service to colleagues and the institution broadly.
• Proven ability to work effectively with a variety of individuals, including freelance writers, photographers, videographers, designers, printers and others.
• Command of the English language including meaning and spelling of words; rules of composition and grammar; and a strong understanding of Associated Press style.
• Ability to set priorities and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Ability to utilize software systems, such as web content management, project management and photo management.
Position requires the ability to stand or sit for extended periods of time, and the ability to move about the campus. Position requires the ability to talk and to hear instruction, and use a computer effectively. Position requires the ability to occasionally lift up to 10 pounds. Working conditions are most often indoors.
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, English, journalism or a related field is required.
• Expertise and facility with results-oriented campaign and fundraising communications, e-marketing, social media and web communications.
• At least five years of relevant experience in communications, marketing or fundraising is required.