Graphic Designer/ Senior Graphic Designer
Muhlenberg College | Allentown, PA - Posted 4 weeks ago
The graphic designer/senior graphic designer manages, designs and produces College publications and advertising (print and electronic) while maintaining the integrity of the Muhlenberg brand and visual identity. Reporting to the vice president for communications, the designer will be an active, engaged participant in all phases of the College’s communications efforts, including consulting on editorial content, client guidance and photo editing. The designer is responsible for developing and maintaining collaborative client relationships, helping to meet both client and College goals and managing and maintaining quality vendor relations and for managing freelance contractors to meet creative needs.
- Oversee the coordination, production and design of a diverse range of visual communications. These include publications, branding campaigns, special events packages and other presentation materials and products to meet the College’s communications and marketing needs.
- Design and manage, in consultation with the College’s senior writer and magazine editor, the timely production of Muhlenberg Magazine. The magazine publishes three times a year with a circulation of approximately 30,000.
- Create animated banners, email campaigns, landing pages and interactive publications designed for maximum usability and quality user experience.
- Arrange and supervise the activities of freelance designers, photographers and illustrators as needed in order to meet project goals and manage delivery timelines.
- Collaborate with coworkers in the Office of Communications and the Office of Information Technology to support the visual aesthetic of the College website.
- Build and maintain healthy client relationships.
- Learn new technologies/software.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related field.
- 3+ years of related experience with increasing responsibility.
- Stellar print and digital design skills.
- Must have a portfolio that demonstrates a range of experience.
- Willingness and ability to learn new technologies/software essential, including project review and approval software.
- Proficient with Macintosh systems (knowledge of PCs a plus). Expert proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) required.
- A hands-on designer who can move from clearly defined and thoughtful concepts to design and delivery.
- Proven ability to communicate and demonstrate the highest degrees of effectiveness and professionalism in a manner that embraces and respects diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Experience with and knowledge of pre-press production and being on press to ensure quality.
- In-depth knowledge of the creative process, including practical implementation, in order to effectively gauge workloads and manage deadline expectations.
- Ability to take direction and work in a creative team environment, as well as work on projects independently.
- Collaborative spirit and excellent people skills, ability to communicate ideas to colleagues and clients in an articulate, professional manner and give clear art direction to freelance contractors.
- A proactive approach to problem solving.
- Excellent organization and communication skills.
- Must be able to multitask between small and large-scale projects in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented atmosphere.
- Some experience negotiating with printers and other service providers.
- Excellent time management, project management and organization a must.
- Unwavering attention to detail and deadlines.
- Ability to supervise student employees as required.
- A basic understanding of a college environment and a commitment to the liberal arts mission of Muhlenberg College.
- Successful completion of background checks.
- As part of the College’s sequential approach for the health and safety of our campus community, proof of COVID-19 vaccination (including booster) is required upon hire (absent an approved medical or religious exemption).