Marketing and Communications Writer (Hybrid Eligible)
School of Social Policy & Practice (SP2), University of Pennsylvania | Philadelphia, PA - Posted 5 months ago
The Marketing and Communications Writer will generate dynamic written content and ideas for digital, audio, and print communications, such as social media, websites, e-mails, brochures, press releases, posters, radio, and other promotional materials that help achieve SP2’s goal to raise its profile through clear and compelling communications. The Marketing and Communications Writer will be expected to understand the mission of the Office of Institutional Advancement to use effective communications as a tool to build SP2’s capabilities and grow stakeholder engagement. They will be responsible for preparing content in a cohesive, engaging voice across all projects, platforms, and communications.
The writer is expected to learn new subjects quickly and apply that knowledge to promotional and storytelling content. They will build relationships externally with media representatives and internally with program directors, admissions staff, faculty, students, and alumni to help inform written communications for internal and external audiences. They are responsible for editing, proofreading, and ensuring the accuracy of all content and adherence to SP2’s style and standards. The person in this role will also provide support to the IA team for the planning and execution of special events such as the SP2 Speaker Series, Alumni Weekend, and SP2 Board Meetings.
All SP2 staff are required to participate in convocation and graduation ceremonies as needed.
- Reporting to the Senior Associate Director, Strategic Marketing & Communications, implement short- and long- term communications plans for multiple audiences and platforms including the website and social media. These will include social media strategies to promote student recruitment, targeted marketing efforts to increase the School’s visibility, and customized pr plans to increase placements in nationally known print and online publications.
- With a focus on SP2’s goal to raise its visibility with clear communications, generate engaging written content and ideas for digital, audio, and print communications. Types of communication will include articles, e-mails, press releases, and talking points related to new programs, student news, alumni spotlights, faculty research, etc. Content will be prepared for strategic placement on SP2’s website, social media accounts, and in other communications mediums.
- Provide proofreading and content writing to contribute to all special communications initiatives and projects, including School publications, remarks for the dean, community messages, and promotional videos.
- Contribute to the production and distribution of School features, digital newsletters, stories for social media, and other regular vehicles of communication that are published on the website, posted to social media and picked up by publications such as Penn Today and national media outlets.
- Assist in the development of written content for school-wide programming, events for the dean, and promotional materials such as brochures, flyers, postcards, advertisements, etc.
- Draft social media posts to be approved and posted / scheduled online re: SP2 stories that raise SP2’s profile/visibility among internal and external audiences.
- Support planning and execution of school-wide events such as drafting and finalizing event titles, program descriptions, and talking points for the SP2 speaker series.
- Other duties as assigned. All SP2 staff are required to participate in convocation and graduation ceremonies as needed.Participate in discussions to identify and execute most effective ways to articulate strategic messaging.
The ideal candidate holds a bachelor’s degree and has at least 2-3 years of professional writing and marketing experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. They should have professional experience collaborating in a team environment on the development of creative concepts and strategic writing, as well as the ability to manage and prioritize multiple detail-oriented assignments. They must have a history of strong editing and proofreading skills. The ideal candidate must demonstrate intermediate-level knowledge of industry-standard applications including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Acrobat as well as social media platforms including Twitter Facebook, and LinkedIn. Knowledge of the Adobe suite, content management systems and other web applications, including project management software, is a plus. Should be very comfortable working collaboratively and independently under tight deadlines and balancing multiple projects simultaneously. Strong writing skills and a great eye for detail is a must. Graphic design experience is a plus.