Vice Chancellor for Strategic Marketing and Communications
University of Illinois Chicago | Chicago, IL - Posted 4 months ago
The UIC Office of Strategic Marketing and Communications provides resources and guidance to help ensure that the university’s marketing and communications initiatives are aligned with its brand and identity. The office develops and executes strategic marketing campaigns designed to strengthen the university’s reputation and identity as a leading academic and research institution.
In addition to marketing UIC at an institutional level, the office is available to provide integrated marketing communications support to the university’s schools, colleges and programs. The staff focuses its efforts on projects that align with UIC’s strategic priorities. The office works with units to define goals, objectives, strategies and tactics to help ensure that marketing communications projects are successful and cost-effective.
In a newly created position, reporting to the Chancellor, the Vice Chancellor of Strategic Marketing and Communications is responsible for advancing the goals of the university by enhancing the university’s reputation and building awareness of UIC. The position leads and develops the University’s external and internal communications, media relations, social media, brand vision and supports efforts to attract the best students and world-class faculty and staff. The position leads an integrated unit charged with developing effective communications and enhancing UIC’s reputation through sophisticated marketing strategies. Specifically, the Vice Chancellor’s main responsibilities are the following:
- Design and implement strategies to develop external relationships that will serve the academic and financial interests of the campus.
- Lead/participate in the university’s strategic planning for marketing and communications.
- Work with the Chancellor, Provost, Deans and members of the senior leadership team to identify, connect and implement communication initiatives/opportunities with academic and administrative units.
- Work with offices across the University to develop and lead a coordinated and strategic approach to external presence through an integrated marketing and communications program. Leverage social media and technology to implement best practices and optimize marketing resources.
- Coordinate and implement internal and external messages to key stakeholders and audiences. Develop and implement strategies to strengthen internal communications.
- Identify, develop, coordinate and provide overall leadership for special projects on behalf of the Chancellor.
- A master’s degree in communication, public relations, marketing or related field required.
- 10 years of high-level management experience in directing strategic communications, targeted outreach and coalition building and/or marketing required.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, affirmative action and equal employment opportunity.
- Proven supervisory experience and demonstrated track record of leading cross-functional teams.
- Skilled decision‐maker, with transparency in decision-making and management.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Higher education administrative leadership experience with similar responsibilities to this position is strongly preferred.
- Understanding of and appreciation for media culture and deadlines and how best to strategically leverage them on behalf of the University.
- Demonstrated experience with effective research-based communications.
- Demonstrated experience in effective brand development and market positioning for a large, complex organization.
- Understanding of the scope and strategic impact of technology used in marketing and social media branding and promotions.
- Experience strategically deploying marketing and communication tools to disseminate messages across different platforms and to diverse audiences.