Web Content Specialist
Kutztown University | Kutztown, PA - Posted 2 months ago
The Kutztown University Web Content Specialist is part of the Department of Web and Digital Media in the Division of University Relations & Athletics. The specialist will develop and implement content for webpages, working independently or with department content contributors. The specialist will be tasked with writing and editing content for pages, following SEO best practices. Working closely with the Web and Digital Media staff members, the specialist will assist with the operation of the university website and content management system. The specialist will also work closely with marketing and communication departments in University Relations. Reports to the Director of Web and Digital Media.
- Create, edit and update web content as requested.
- Create written content for new web pages and digital media, as directed, including written content and sourcing multimedia content (social media, video, photography).
- Form strong partnerships with content providers to help shape their offering to meet the needs of the Kutztown University web and digital audiences.
- Gather content, through interviews and surveys with clients across university units.
- Assist with developing best practices and strategy for university website, using knowledge of analytics and SEO.
- Participate in annual strategic planning and collaboration with Web and University Relations staffs.
- Gather and analyze data to create content collected via analytics.
- Assist with training new content contributors for the website.
- Assist with the operation of the university’s content management system.
- In an advisory role, provide professional consultation to administrative and academic departments to assist in ensuring that sub-sites are rich in content, focused and maintained.
- Serve as a member of the University Relations on-call crisis communications team.
- Supervise any graduate assistants, student workers and/or interns assigned to area.
- Minimum 3-5 years combined experience in one or more of the following areas: managing the development of online content with editorial and web production experience; journalism and/or public relations.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, professional writing, journalism or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Understanding of web-design, user experience (UX) conventions, research methodologies and best practices for maintaining web content is required.
- Understanding of Search Engine Optimization (SEO)/Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
- Excellent writing, presentation, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Must have excellent listening and interviewing skills.
- Superior interpersonal skills, flexibility, collegiality and poise are necessary.
- Must be an excellent editor, as well as a persuasive, clear, swift and accurate writer. Mastery of AP style.
- Experience working with clients and high skill levels in communication (writing, verbal) is required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent computer skills with experience in web page design.
- Ability to work in teams and independently to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be comfortable in a diverse community of learners in a shared governance environment.
- Must be highly organized, able to juggle many priorities simultaneously.
- As a member of the on-call rotation, candidate must be able, while designated on call, to be available 24/7 and be able to report promptly to campus at all hours in the event of an emergency.
- Background working professionally in higher education strongly preferred.
- Experience with crisis communications preferred.
- Understanding of web accessibility (WWW Consortium W3C) guideline standards.
- Experience with a content management system, HTML and Google Analytics a plus.
- Significant responsibility for an institutional web presence highly desirable.